7/10/2005

Squish

I just watched myself squash a positive emotion. How cruel is it to squash a positive emotion.

My Thought: We all know that “positive thinking” is bull…ony. But, I don’t think that extends to positive emotions. They are rare and precious. They should be nurtured, protected, and bathed in truth. Notice them, enjoy them, don’t be harsh to them. Yes, they may be tied to a prediction of the future. But they can be nudged into being enjoyed just for the moment you are in. You (I) might want to discredit the emotion because the future is questionable – well the discrediting negative thought should be held to the same test.

2 comments:

Leap of Faaaith said...

Okay, there is a little bit of science that we can attach to this. When you are exceptionally cruel to yourself, it drains or exhausts your brain of the chemicals you need to feel good and functional. The first thing you need to do is stop the negative thought. Easier said than done, right? Check out this http://www.thewaveriders.com/articles/pi0205low.html . download the lesson in Word or PDF.

First we need to see the thought and how we feel as two independent things. We cannot direct how we feel, but we can affect what we do with our thoughts. Next, we need to identify the negative thoughts…. List them. Now, for the sake of your brain, stop the chemical draining action of thinking of that thought. It does not change how you feel, but it does change what you are doing.

Now let’s see if emotions can follow actions. Do something nurturing and positive. Accomplish one thing. Take a shower… Write a blog entry… hug a pillow… I don’t know. Do some little tiny nurturing thing. As my mother said to me on Saturday night, accomplish something. If she didn’t have the little seemingly-unimportant accomplishments, she knows she would fall apart. Some how, by doing this, we stop the depletion process and begin to build a ladder we can use to climb out of our hole.

Leap of Faaaith said...

Looking at what I wrote, I thought, You Dummy, You are sitting here writing in your Blog, and you are missing the short moments you have with Adam. So right now I am going to hug on him :)