4/14/2007

Living in the moment

I am reading Ecclesiastes.

I think I am realizing something.

A large struggle of mine is "Living in the moment." The concept can mean different things to different people. It could allow me to do things that are irresponsible. It could allow me to throw caution to the wind.

But isn't that what landed me in my present predicament?

Something is flawed in what I am believing. It must be, because the resulting fruit in my life is and every-day anxt .

From reading Ecclesiastes, I am culling the idea that living in the moment must be modified with an eternal perspective.

The story of Adam and Eve is a great example. Eve felt the motive of the moment and responded to it. But her perspective was off...and it created a , ummmm, bit of a problem.

What is this modifier that I call "the eternal perspective?"

EDIT: It involves desiring and pursuing goodness. Edit 2: Each moment has it's purpose, whether in joy or adversity, embrace that moment's lesson.

It is not totally clear yet, but I think it has something to do with not grasping for things that can never be forever. I want fulfillment, but I seek seek it in quickly fading flowers. Only self-serving vanity could be my motive. An "eternal perspective" lifts my pursuit of Goals and
dreams and moment-to-moment happiness out of Vanity . Perhaps we are never satisfied when we pursue our satisfaction.

Wow, I am more confused than when I started. I hope this idea develops more... it seems important. On a personal note, I was so excited when I started this post. I thought I had stumbled on something brilliant. Well, I was reading Solomon and mulled, "live in the moment, but with an eternal perspective." Sounds deep.... Well it is so deep, I actually don't know what it totally means. I can hear Leah's voice asking,"What the Heck is an 'eternal perspective?!'" Sorry girl, I can't quite describe it yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as a actor, the only truth to the work is to be in the moment. completely. which allows total honesty and you can spot it a mile away. living life in the moment has become more my mantra than ever. that doesn't translate to irresponsibility as you might imply. but that connection must be with trust.