4/08/2007

goal of reciprocated love


Did you ever give affection with the expectation that it would be reciprocated?

I don't think that is love.

Did you ever point out something that you do for someone, to prove that they should be giving it back to you? Was your motive for giving - to get?

I think of the most manipulatively ornery people I know, and their rages are often about what people owe them.

The problem is, I find it to be true of my own life too. The more I look at the unmet expectations of those I have "loved", I see that I had a sense of entitlement - expected reciprocation - that was disappointed. It becomes more insidious when I see that, even if I had given them what I desired, it would not entitle me to anything.

Washington Irving said once, "Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart"

We are taught that it is a "cause and effect" world we live in. Newton's third law of motion states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. But we get into trouble when we use this to attempt to foster and manipulate the reactions of others for our own self-actualizing gain.

If we love, to be loved, then is that even love?

When we do something for someone with the expectation of reciprocation, it is not love, it is a business deal.

Such actions should come with a warning label. They create strife where there could have been peace. they create expectations that can never be met. they cause pain when there could have been love.

I have a lot of people to apologize to. I have had many "love deals" go wrong. I have wondered, shaking in pain, why my love was never returned...

But it was it ever a true love that I gave...

It was self-inflicted pain that I held them responsible for. Look what I have done to myself. I battled to forgive them of an offense that was never theirs. I raged against God for my lost investment (business deal) of time and effort. Oh Lone, you were so deceived.

I repent. Lord, give me the strength to change.

No comments: