9/08/2005

mind chatter

There was once a time when little could be written down. Nor could we pick up a book and read it for hours. Perhaps it is this act of reading that taught us to create thought exclusively. But the art of listening, quiet hearing, has been lost. Is it that we have learned to fill our mind with so many thoughts that we cannot absorb what is around us in this moment. When we run out of thoughts, we turn to other meaningless stimulus to fill our time. TV, computer, Internet, radio, books.... Perhaps that is part of the the magic behind the ancient gift of Praying-in-the-spirit. The apostle Paul said that he did it without stopping (at least that is what I think I remember.)
It is amazing that since Sunday afternoon, the purity of my mind has been attracted and I set aside the recent lessons in hope that I could address the issues. But instead, I reaped the fruit that I have so long despised.
It is time to walk the little used paths that my God will lead me on.
(Note: When practicing this, I notice that my breathing suddenly changes from shallow short breaths, to deep long breaths. It isn't a conjured up affect; it seems to happen without my will, I just find myself drinking in the air....)

No comments: