12/04/2006

Another week

Another day, Another week.

It has been a fabulous weekend. It started on Thursday when a friend visited. What a sweetheart she is! Perhaps I will call her "Ah." Well, she made the night sparkling and combative. You know someone could be a life-long friend when they sincerly disagree with half of what you say, but still argue-nice.

Arguing nice is a skill. It takes someone who is self assure enough to disagree and kind enough to not take it personal. To me, it is the hallmark of a person with a natural communication-talent. Rare and appreciated.  I suppose it helps when boundaries prevent things from getting to personal. (Yes, I am intentionally being frustratingly vague)

Friday started a fun weekend with Adam.


The name of that video is Cheese Toast. It is so neat because Adam acts just like himself. A full pleasure.

I should share with you the other video. It was of me putting Adam to bed. We have a similar routine every night, where I kneel by his bed and we pray and be silly.



I guess I share them, as I want my friends to see what amazing progress Adam has made. Also, it shows the side of him that most would never see, as he would not let them engage them.

The weekend-with-him started off with an amazing moment. I was driving Adam home from school, leaving a message for an attorney-friend I have. Her name happens to be Elizabeth. As I said, "Hello Elizabeth!" and continued with the message. Now Adam suddenly began tapping my shoulder saying something very excited. He was interrupting my message so I tried to quiet him, but he was too excited, so I got off the phone and listened to him. He said, "That was Elisabeth? (my late sister) She is Alive? She's Okay? Is Elisabeth alive?" Shaking his head yes with a hopeful look. As my breath was taken away, I told him that it was a different Elizabeth and She was still not alive. At first, I thought I would respond with tears, but instead I was filled with amazement. That was the first time Adam has ever referred, with concern, for anyone beyond the moment that we were in. He has never expressed anything close to that. I hardly know how to describe it. It was such a grown up emotional response attached to a memory 3 and a half years old. It expressed such hope and excitement for someone beyond himself. It was so un-autistic!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Lone, that is an amazing moment you shared with Adam. I'm just in awe of how far he has come and what a sweet boy he is. And I can't believe it's been three and a half years.

RMA